Saturday, November 22, 2008
Singapore Dragonboating
After a good night's sleep (for a change) and quick trip to the gym I headed down to the Singapore River to see the River Regatta, an annual dragonboat race. Having some affection for the sport I decided to wander down and see how it was going. The fact that NewUrbanMale has a dragonboating team (and their schedule for today was posted on the Facebook page) had nothing to do with it, of course!!
I spent a nice couple of hours there. The weather was good (though a bad storm seemed to be coming just as I left, and they weren't done for the day yet) and the crowd was very festive. There were a lot more teams than we see in the DC Dragonboat Festival, though that's to be expected...every school, every big company (and plenty of small ones), every expat group, EVERYONE seems to have a dragonboat team here. I was pleased to see that most of them didn't seem to be all that much better than the AQUA team, but of course, things look very different when you're watching from the side rather than sitting in the boat.
I'd love to get involved with NUM's dragonboaters but my guess is there aren't any too many other competitions between now and the time I leave, plus they probably don't have any need for an American, short-time resident, with little experience. But at least I can watch!!
![]() |
| Singapore Dragonboating |
I spent a nice couple of hours there. The weather was good (though a bad storm seemed to be coming just as I left, and they weren't done for the day yet) and the crowd was very festive. There were a lot more teams than we see in the DC Dragonboat Festival, though that's to be expected...every school, every big company (and plenty of small ones), every expat group, EVERYONE seems to have a dragonboat team here. I was pleased to see that most of them didn't seem to be all that much better than the AQUA team, but of course, things look very different when you're watching from the side rather than sitting in the boat.
I'd love to get involved with NUM's dragonboaters but my guess is there aren't any too many other competitions between now and the time I leave, plus they probably don't have any need for an American, short-time resident, with little experience. But at least I can watch!!
Labels: Living in SG
Comments:
<< Home
row row row your boat~ gently down the stream~ eh! you should try to ask, who knows, they might let you practice with them~ *slurps*
Post a Comment
<< Home

