Friday, December 19, 2008

 

Saigon Signoff

It's almost noon, so time to check out. My guide, Trung, and I are going for lunch,then I'm off to the airport to head back to Singapore.

The trip here has been all I hoped for. I was introduced to more Vietnamese culture, seeing what it's like in the big city as compared to the smaller city of Hanoi. I had some very good food. Got to visit some gay spots here, including a coffee house and a karaoke bar last night which was very fun (they do things a little differently here -- at home we sing Madonna, here they sing Vietnamese opera). And of course, I went around on a motorbike rather than just taxi and tour company car, so that was cool.

I also touched base with some family history. Dad was here for the war right after I was born and I got to see some places where he stayed and worked (and also some places I think he avoided...yesterday I went to visit the tunnels at Cu Chi). While here I got a good dose of anti-American history which was pretty one-sided. Thre was no mention, for instance, of the Soviet Union's participation on Uncle Ho's side, nor was there any mention of the VC's atrocities at the museum that detailed America's use of Agent Orange. It's true, of course, that the winners get to write the history, so today's Vietnamese have grown up hearing one side of things. That also makes me wonder about the stuff we learned in the US about Americas role in the wars we won. What didn't we get told in school???

Very eye-opening, or mind-opening, anyway. I avoided any political discussions with my guide. Seemed to be the best thing to do.

Better head downstairs before they charge me for another day. Sunday will be a busy day at home...need to do some laundry, and some grocery shopping, and head to the salon, because Stan arrives from the US Sunday night and I want to look good. Yay!!!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?