Wednesday, February 11, 2009

 

Some Notes on Bangkok

With all the excitement of prepping for my HK trip I never got around to posting some final thoughts I brought back from Bangkok. So here they are:

Thai is a really beautiful language, the most enjoyable Asian language to listen to in my humble opinion. It's like a song.

Gay life is more open there than anywhere I've been besides San Francisco or New York. However, there are too many older white guys with really young, bored-looking Thai guys.

My friend Bom (and yes, William, he is as cute as ever!) has cool friends.

For a country that likes spicy food, they have very weak Hot and Spicy KFC fried chicken.

Domon has shifted its emphasis away from underwear, which means I won't be shopping there anymore.

English proficiency seems to be on the decline, even among educated younger Thais.

I'm disturbed by a guy in his late teens, walking with a woman who could be his mom, asking me if I want a massage.

Louis Vuitton doesn't make golf bags, so why would you buy one in Patpong?

Ladyboys will drink you bankrupt.

There's hot, there's hot and humid, and then there's Bangkok.

If I wanted a taxi, a tuk-tuk, or a suit, I would ask you. But hey, that's the charm of Silom.

The Land of Smiles doesn't smile as much these days.

DJ Station does not seem to have many exits, which is a big deal since the nightclub fire on New Year's Eve.

Do it. If you don't, in 20 years you'll wish you had.

Labels:


Comments:
You are going to Bangkok? Make sure you visit the Agogo Boys' Bar. Nice!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?