Wednesday, July 29, 2009
B.O.L.
B.O.L., of course, is geek-speak for "back online." I realize I haven't written in forever, to the point where I was getting e-mails from people making sure I'm OK (thanks, CRD!).
What's kept me offline? I used to really enjoy writing, it was a great release, a great way to express...but now it seems like I'm trying to find time to wedge it into my schedule, and I'm typically failing to do that.
Some of it is still leftover from the "compromise" a few months ago...the woman who scouted through cyberspace until she found out more about me, and wow, did she find out more about me. Because of her I've limited this blog's access severely, keeping it to just a few friends, and the reality is that I'm in contact with most of those friends, either live and in person here in DC, or regularly by phone or SMS or email, or more passively on Facebook...and so the incentive to jump back into the blog is reduced.
But of course, status updates on FB and 140-character SMS don't really get across the points I want to make, and there are people to whom I'm not connected through social media with whom I'd still like to share, so maybe after this most recent break i can get back into it regularly.
I'm also writing a professional blog, at LeadingCreatives.com, and keeping that up to date takes a bit of my blogging time. I also write a newspaper column and, oops, I'm about to hit the deadline for my next one so maybe I should be writing that...
But my slowdown started long ago, and I think it's because my life has gotten better and more full and I'm doing more during the week than I ever did before. My weeknights are filled with seeing Stan, and spending more time with friends like Linh and Ethan, and I'm very happy about that. To use the phrase I use far too often, "I'm too busy having a life to write about it." But I need to record the cool things, and the not so cool ones, that go on in my life, because these are things worth remembering.
Anyway, some very big things have happened in my life in the last month, and some smaller things too, and there's been travel and new friends and old friends and highs and lows, and in the next few days I'm going to get caught up on those. I think part of my problem is, when I see the backlog of stuff I want to write about, it's so big it scares me and so I avoid it. No more.
So, check back tomorrow and see if I follow through. :-)
What's kept me offline? I used to really enjoy writing, it was a great release, a great way to express...but now it seems like I'm trying to find time to wedge it into my schedule, and I'm typically failing to do that.
Some of it is still leftover from the "compromise" a few months ago...the woman who scouted through cyberspace until she found out more about me, and wow, did she find out more about me. Because of her I've limited this blog's access severely, keeping it to just a few friends, and the reality is that I'm in contact with most of those friends, either live and in person here in DC, or regularly by phone or SMS or email, or more passively on Facebook...and so the incentive to jump back into the blog is reduced.
But of course, status updates on FB and 140-character SMS don't really get across the points I want to make, and there are people to whom I'm not connected through social media with whom I'd still like to share, so maybe after this most recent break i can get back into it regularly.
I'm also writing a professional blog, at LeadingCreatives.com, and keeping that up to date takes a bit of my blogging time. I also write a newspaper column and, oops, I'm about to hit the deadline for my next one so maybe I should be writing that...
But my slowdown started long ago, and I think it's because my life has gotten better and more full and I'm doing more during the week than I ever did before. My weeknights are filled with seeing Stan, and spending more time with friends like Linh and Ethan, and I'm very happy about that. To use the phrase I use far too often, "I'm too busy having a life to write about it." But I need to record the cool things, and the not so cool ones, that go on in my life, because these are things worth remembering.
Anyway, some very big things have happened in my life in the last month, and some smaller things too, and there's been travel and new friends and old friends and highs and lows, and in the next few days I'm going to get caught up on those. I think part of my problem is, when I see the backlog of stuff I want to write about, it's so big it scares me and so I avoid it. No more.
So, check back tomorrow and see if I follow through. :-)
Labels: Blogging