Sunday, August 03, 2008
Good News for Me
I got some very good news about my professional life back in early may. I kept it quiet for a while because I wanted to share the news with some people in person (though a few did manage to drag the secret out of me online because it was just too good to keep). While on my Asia trip I did get to share the news with some, and now that the folks I needed to tell directly are al up to speed, I can share it with anyone in the world who hasn't heard yet.
While teaching a few years ago I thought about applying for a prestigious educational exchange program and was looking into going to Thailand for a semester. That didn't work out because I ended up going to Iraq to help fix things (and we see how well THAT turned out) and I didn't think I should leave school for another semester. Anyway, last November I was surfing around and saw an opportunity for the exchange program again and decided to apply.
And this time, I got it.
As a result, I will go to Singapore for 4 months later this year to teach a graduate school course. I have talked to my "real world" and online friends there and they are excited as, of course, am I. I've never lived in another country (Iraq doesn't count) and I'm thrilled about the chance to have a normal day-to-day life in a new environment. I'm also very excited to get back to teaching again.
The details are still a little up in the air...while most of my teaching stuff is settled, things like where I'm going to live are still being worked out. While there is an opportunity to live at the university, the housing situation is not quite what I had in mind, so I may use my grant money to get a place on my own and a little closer to the fun parts of the city.
Sorry for being a little vague about where I'll be and what program and all that, but I still have to maintain SOME anonymity on this blog.
But anyway, this is an amazing opportunity, both professionally and personally, so YAY ME!!!!
And more importantly, yay to Ethan for believing in me and encouraging me to apply.
While teaching a few years ago I thought about applying for a prestigious educational exchange program and was looking into going to Thailand for a semester. That didn't work out because I ended up going to Iraq to help fix things (and we see how well THAT turned out) and I didn't think I should leave school for another semester. Anyway, last November I was surfing around and saw an opportunity for the exchange program again and decided to apply.
And this time, I got it.
As a result, I will go to Singapore for 4 months later this year to teach a graduate school course. I have talked to my "real world" and online friends there and they are excited as, of course, am I. I've never lived in another country (Iraq doesn't count) and I'm thrilled about the chance to have a normal day-to-day life in a new environment. I'm also very excited to get back to teaching again.
The details are still a little up in the air...while most of my teaching stuff is settled, things like where I'm going to live are still being worked out. While there is an opportunity to live at the university, the housing situation is not quite what I had in mind, so I may use my grant money to get a place on my own and a little closer to the fun parts of the city.
Sorry for being a little vague about where I'll be and what program and all that, but I still have to maintain SOME anonymity on this blog.
But anyway, this is an amazing opportunity, both professionally and personally, so YAY ME!!!!
And more importantly, yay to Ethan for believing in me and encouraging me to apply.
