Friday, November 21, 2008
Nice Weekend, Another One on the Way
Last weekend was fun, and this one will be good, too. Last Friday my friend Clev took me to see Quantum of Solace, which was a great little action film, and I'm glad I read the plot synopsis from Casino Royale on Wikipedia before going because this movie picks up ten minutes after the last one left off, and I would have hated to be confused (the Chinese subtitles were distracting enough, and would have been even more distracting if I actually read Chinese). Fun flick, and good times were had.
I'd gotten a text that some friends were going to be at a nearby bar so I decided to join them but needed to take a rest first. I met up with my friend Jonathan and through him met his friend Alan, a very nice guy who works at a school here. The bar closed around 3 so we all walked over to my place (it's nice living 5 minutes away), picking up some food on the way, and just hung out for a bit. I got to bed around 5, which kind of messed up my gym plans for Saturday, but I had fun so it was worth it.
Saturday afternoon I met up with Jimmie, whom I've known online for quite some time but never met. We met at Starbucks (the source of all evil, according to Stan, but they have red bean buns here so it's OK) in the same shopping center where Mos Burger is located (which reminded me I have to take Stan there when he visits next month). We hung out and talked for a bit, then went to the Botanical Garden, which I have never visited before. I appreciated Jimmie showing me around and I think he'll show me parts of Singapore I haven't seen on other trips. He also has a business over in Bintan, an Indonesian island about 45 minutes away by ferry, and is going to take me over there some weekend to show me around.
That evening, after some chatting with friends and a power nap (sorely needed after little sleep the night before!) I wandered back over to the bar to see Jonathan and Alan and whoever else might show up. My plan was to go dancing at a club across the street but I was way too wiped out, and also wanted to get up at a decent time Sunday, so I just had a drink and hung out about an hour. I was tired, I needed sleep, so there.
Sunday I actually woke earlier than expected so I got some laundry done and headed out for coffee. Noon came and it was time for me to move downstairs into the apartment where I'm staying the rest of my time here. Jasen (another online friend I hadn't met yet) came over and helped me move bags, then we wandered out to lunch. He's a very fun guy, lots of fun to talk to and very knowledgeable about things like nutrition and psychology and fitness and such, so there's lots I can learn from him. He also has a boyfriend who sounds fun and whom I look forward to meeting.
Sunday was a night for more sleeping…still pretty wiped from the weekend plus the jet lag hadn't disappeared. I think it's all gone now. Hope so, anyway.
So I'm keeping busy here, mostly with meeting people that I've wanted to meet for a long time and getting to know them better, and some new folks as well. I'm hoping to maybe bring some of them together, not as a matchmaker, but just to enlarge their circle of friends if they're so inclined. They're such nice guys, it's a shame the don't know each other.
And now I'm off. Jasen and I are going to dinner and Ikea. Because that's what you do.
I'd gotten a text that some friends were going to be at a nearby bar so I decided to join them but needed to take a rest first. I met up with my friend Jonathan and through him met his friend Alan, a very nice guy who works at a school here. The bar closed around 3 so we all walked over to my place (it's nice living 5 minutes away), picking up some food on the way, and just hung out for a bit. I got to bed around 5, which kind of messed up my gym plans for Saturday, but I had fun so it was worth it.
Saturday afternoon I met up with Jimmie, whom I've known online for quite some time but never met. We met at Starbucks (the source of all evil, according to Stan, but they have red bean buns here so it's OK) in the same shopping center where Mos Burger is located (which reminded me I have to take Stan there when he visits next month). We hung out and talked for a bit, then went to the Botanical Garden, which I have never visited before. I appreciated Jimmie showing me around and I think he'll show me parts of Singapore I haven't seen on other trips. He also has a business over in Bintan, an Indonesian island about 45 minutes away by ferry, and is going to take me over there some weekend to show me around.
That evening, after some chatting with friends and a power nap (sorely needed after little sleep the night before!) I wandered back over to the bar to see Jonathan and Alan and whoever else might show up. My plan was to go dancing at a club across the street but I was way too wiped out, and also wanted to get up at a decent time Sunday, so I just had a drink and hung out about an hour. I was tired, I needed sleep, so there.
Sunday I actually woke earlier than expected so I got some laundry done and headed out for coffee. Noon came and it was time for me to move downstairs into the apartment where I'm staying the rest of my time here. Jasen (another online friend I hadn't met yet) came over and helped me move bags, then we wandered out to lunch. He's a very fun guy, lots of fun to talk to and very knowledgeable about things like nutrition and psychology and fitness and such, so there's lots I can learn from him. He also has a boyfriend who sounds fun and whom I look forward to meeting.
Sunday was a night for more sleeping…still pretty wiped from the weekend plus the jet lag hadn't disappeared. I think it's all gone now. Hope so, anyway.
So I'm keeping busy here, mostly with meeting people that I've wanted to meet for a long time and getting to know them better, and some new folks as well. I'm hoping to maybe bring some of them together, not as a matchmaker, but just to enlarge their circle of friends if they're so inclined. They're such nice guys, it's a shame the don't know each other.
And now I'm off. Jasen and I are going to dinner and Ikea. Because that's what you do.
Labels: Friends, Living in SG