Thursday, May 21, 2009

 

Graduation Day

Not mine (that was 7 years ago), and not Stan's (that's in 2 years), but Linh's. And I am SO proud of him!!



Linh is from Vietnam but his last 7 years of school have been in the US -- senior year of high school 4 years of undergrad, and 2 years her in DC for grad school. I'm always impressed by anyone who goes overseas and studies in a non-native language. Fortunately, his region of study was Southeast Asia, so at least he knew the geography.

Over the last 2 years I've read pretty much every paper he's written. The idea was for me to help with his English but it always led to great discussions where I learned a lot. Having something of a "mentoring" relationship with him has added a lot to our friendship, and helped me feel like a teacher again, a feeling I love. I saw his work improve over time, which is what you hope for in school. He really gained a lot from this education.

We met soon after he started school here, courtesy of Fridae. I'm glad he suggested meeting up; at the time, Adrian and I were in our "let's see if we can fix this" phase so I wasn't trying hard to meet people locally. As soon as we met I knew this would be a fun person to know. I can honestly say that, after Stan leaves for school at the end of the summer, Linh is one of the few reasons I have to stay in DC. I appreciate his friendship a lot and wish him all the good fortune he deserves in his future.

Congrats, babe.

Labels:


Comments:
I am honored and very touched. Of course you don't need me to say how much I value our friendship... Thank you for everything, Will.

me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?