Friday, October 23, 2009
Getting Into the Proper Zen-like State of Mind, Day 6
I'd like to think I can do things on my own, but the truth is, it's definitely easier with friends.
When I was running the Army 10-Miler I hit the 8-mile point, where I needed a push, and instead felt like I was on my own. None of my other friends were running the race, and there were no supporters for me along the route...I had the feeling that, if my other friends were running there'd be people out to support THEM, but because it was just me, nobody came out. Yes, I was feeling sorry for myself. It didn't help that I was falling behind the pace I needed to meet my goal. I almost gave up -- "why should I do this, who cares?" -- but I woke up out of that and kicked it into high gear and ended up running my fastest time ever.
And it turns out I should have given my friends more credit than that. As I finished and collected my gear I saw a message on my phone from Linh telling me he was at the 8-mile point but was afraid he'd gotten there too late to see me. He did get there a few minutes after I passed, but that's not the point. I should have realized he'd be there...my bad.
This weekend, none of that is a factor at all. Four of us -- me, Ethan, Vu, Troy -- are running it this year and have spent time training together. A message went out to AQUA encouraging people to come out and cheer us on, and giving them the info they need to track us online. Speaking of that, I've got friends across the country and across the world who are planning to follow online as well. I'm crashing at Linh's Saturday night, which means I get an extra half hour's sleep Sunday because he lives fairly close to the race (plus I can walk to the Metro from his place rather than having to worry about driving and parking), and he and Kevin and a bunch of other folks are planing to be out there for us during the race.
So yeah, as much as I like being able to do things on my own, it's MUCH more fun with my good friends.
I am SO ready for this.
When I was running the Army 10-Miler I hit the 8-mile point, where I needed a push, and instead felt like I was on my own. None of my other friends were running the race, and there were no supporters for me along the route...I had the feeling that, if my other friends were running there'd be people out to support THEM, but because it was just me, nobody came out. Yes, I was feeling sorry for myself. It didn't help that I was falling behind the pace I needed to meet my goal. I almost gave up -- "why should I do this, who cares?" -- but I woke up out of that and kicked it into high gear and ended up running my fastest time ever.
And it turns out I should have given my friends more credit than that. As I finished and collected my gear I saw a message on my phone from Linh telling me he was at the 8-mile point but was afraid he'd gotten there too late to see me. He did get there a few minutes after I passed, but that's not the point. I should have realized he'd be there...my bad.
This weekend, none of that is a factor at all. Four of us -- me, Ethan, Vu, Troy -- are running it this year and have spent time training together. A message went out to AQUA encouraging people to come out and cheer us on, and giving them the info they need to track us online. Speaking of that, I've got friends across the country and across the world who are planning to follow online as well. I'm crashing at Linh's Saturday night, which means I get an extra half hour's sleep Sunday because he lives fairly close to the race (plus I can walk to the Metro from his place rather than having to worry about driving and parking), and he and Kevin and a bunch of other folks are planing to be out there for us during the race.
So yeah, as much as I like being able to do things on my own, it's MUCH more fun with my good friends.
I am SO ready for this.